Season 8 of the MSPT is in the books, and it was a record-breaking affair. We hosted eight Regional Events, 18 Main Events, catered to 19,484 entrants, awarded $13,992,243 in prize money, and broke nearly a dozen records in six states. All told, the MSPT has awarded $52,675,375 in prize money through eight seasons.
We kicked things off last January with a $350 Regional Event at Potawatomi Hotel & Casino in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The tournament drew 1,228 entries to become the largest tournament ever held in Wisconsin. The WSOP Circuit would break it a month later, but we reclaimed the record in July when 1,658 entrants took to the felt.
Early on in 2017, we also hosted our 100th Main Event, the #MSPT100, which drew 466 entries, the largest turnout in 16 visits to Meskwaki Casino. Here’s a look at other records we set in Season 8:
- March’s MSPT $360 Regional Event at Golden Gates Casino was the most-attended poker tournament in Colorado history.
- April’s MSPT Canterbury Park drew 475 entries to make it the largest poker major ($1K+ buy-in) in Minnesota history. We broke our own record in December with 493 entries.
- May’s MSPT FireKeepers proved to be the largest tournament in Michigan history with 1,066 entries. Again, we broke our own record when 1,067 turned up for October’s 2017 MSPT Michigan State Poker Championship.
- The summer’s MSPT Venetian was the largest tournament in both MSPT and The Venetian history with 3,273 entries.
- July’s 2017 MSPT Iowa State Poker Championship at Meskwaki was largest major poker tournament in state history with 496 entries.
- August’s first-ever MSPT $350 Regional Event held at Canterbury Park set the Minnesota state record for largest poker tournament with 1,169 entrants (previous record was 1,114 set in eight flights Canterbury’s 2015 $115 buy-in Ultimate $100K).
- September’s MSPT Running Aces was the largest in tour history with 383 entries.
- November’s 2017 MSPT Wisconsin State Poker Championship at Potawatomi was largest poker major ever held in the Badger State.
In addition, 2017 was the year we debuted the “Poker Bowl” at The Venetian, introduced both the MSPT Burger and MSPT Sandwich, brought on Kimo Sabe Mezcal as our Player of the Year sponsor, and established the MSPT Hall of Fame.
On behalf of the entire MSPT crew, we thank all the players who supported us throughout the year and look forward to an even bigger Season 9!